18 Ways to Help a Chained Dog
Get Brochures & Videos to Share
- Bring your dog inside! He will be so happy, and you will have a
new, true friend. Dogs want to be inside with their "pack" - you! Read
tips to help your dog be a good “inside” dog.
Inside dogs make the best
guard dogs! It will take time for your dog to adjust
to the new environment, but will be so worth it.
- Get to know the dog’s guardian if you are concerned about someone
else’s chained dog. Read tips on talking to an
- Report Cruelty: Call animal
control, humane society, or sheriff. if you see a dog starving or in trouble.In
most places, it's against the law to leave a dog without food, water or shelter.
your city doesn’t have an animal cruelty law, your state law will. Google
"Your State Code" or "Your State Statutes." Visit our Laws
page for more.
After reporting - don’t be afraid to follow up! Keep
calling authorities until the situation is resolved. If animal control doesn't
respond, write a letter to your mayor, start a social media campaign, or call
your tv station. The dog is counting on you to be his voice.
- Build a fence.
freedom and make it easy for you approach your dog, since he won't be
jumping on a chain. Ask fencing companies for leftovers or post to social media
asking for help with labor or supplies. Watch video or visit
our Building Fences page.
- If your dog can escape your fence:
fence height with mesh fencing.
- Attach bamboo fencing, which comes in 6-foot rolls, to existing fence.
It’s hard to climb.
- Install an electric fence. At pet and hardware stores you can buy
electric fence kits for fenced and unfenced yards.
- Install a "hot wire" to the top of your fence. Call a
farm supply store for advice.
- To stop diggers, bury chicken wire under the fence or put concrete
blocks around it. You can dig a trough under the fence and fill it with
concrete (along the whole fence or in "trouble spots").
- Spaying and neutering will help the dog calm down and stay closer to home.
Sterilization will NOT change your dog’s personality but provides health
benefits. Sterilized dogs still make great
guard dogs and
hunting dogs. Contact your humane society or
SpayUSA at 1-800-248-SPAY
(7729) | SpayUSA@AnimalLeague.org.
- Replace old collars with a new nylon collar. You should be able to
fit two fingers between the dog's neck and the collar. If you need to add
a hole to a collar, hammer a nail through it.
- Provide food and fresh water every day.
Put a bowl hole
in the ground to keep it from tipping. Attach a
bucket to a doghouse or fence with a bungee cord.
Farm supply stores sell rubber
livestock bowls that won't tip.
- Provide warm shelter in winter
- Dogs get cold like we do! If you can’t bring your dog in, fill doghouses
with hay or cedar from
farm supply stores.
- To keep cold air out, cover the door with a plastic flap, car mat, piece
of carpet, towel, or blanket.
- Doghouses should be large enough for your dog to stand up and turn
around, but small enough to trap body heat.
- Wooden doghouses should be raised a few inches to keep out water. You
can place it on concrete
- Ensure water isn't frozen!
- Provide shade and kiddie pool in summer.
Doghouses get hot
in summer! Create shade by stretching a tarp. Dogs
enjoy cooling off in a baby pool!
- Give toys and rawhides.
A big rawhide
from the grocery, ball, or even a knotted towel or ball provides fun!
Go on walks!
Your dog will
be so happy to get of the yard, and it’s great exercise for you! Leash training will take some time, but
it's so worth it! Harnesses that hook in front are a great way
to control large, strong dogs.
If the dog belongs to someone else, offer to walk the dog yourself!
Go to school!
at pet stores can help your dog learn to be a good “inside” dog.
- Protect from fleas and worms.
make life miserable. Pick up flea treatment at vet/grocery/pet store.
Farm supply stores sell supplies
cheaply. Heartworms could kill your dog - get preventative at the vet.
fact sheet on parasites
- Change the law in your community to
- Share on social media
or ask the
Community Affairs person at your local TV station to air a PSA.
Broncos' Chris Harris Takes 'Outdoor Dog' Challenge
| Share on
| Share on
Puppies Hate Chains
Eve: Unchain Your
Friends | Share on
Justin Long Gives Voice to
Lonely 'Outdoor Dogs'
Justin Theroux Chained Dog
| Share on
Briggs (Chicago Bears) Cold Dog
Loretta Lynn Sings "I Wanna Be Free"
Michael Strahan Cold Dog | Share on
NFL's Glenn Dorsey: Be Your Dog’s Defender
| Share on
Christensen ‘Chains Are for Crankshafts, Not Dogs’
Simmons Animal Cruelty
Taylor Anti Cruelty
Public Service Announcements for TV:
- Distribute info!
18. Take ONE STEP today toward helping a dog.
may not be able to save all the neglected dogs, but surely there is one
thing you can do today to improve a dog's life!
from Mutts comic strip. Used with permission.
[Back to top]